amelioration of "shock"

Sat Sep 20 15:58:19 UTC 2014

Here is a citation in 1910 for "pleasurably shocked" that might be of
interest. It shows that some shocks could give pleasure (for some
speakers). But does not indicate the default meaning for "shocked".
The adverbially elaboration may have moved "shocked" to an low
frequency interpretation.

Songs and Tales: A Collection of Songs and Tales from Life and Imagination
Author: David C. Nimmo (David Chalmers Nimmo)
Year: 1910 copyright
Section: The Revenge
Start Page 240, Quote Page 240 and 241

[Begin excerpt]
Naturally, when about four months after meeting for the first time he
asked her to be his wife, Mabel was surprised and pleasurably shocked.
Though it was a new and delightful experience to have such a business
on her hands it did not blind her to the seriousness of the event; it
rather woke her up and for the first time in her life she thought on
the solemness of marriage.
[End excerpt]