Resum é & dubious and the OED [ was: New spelling: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=5Fgenr=E9=5F_?=or _genre'_]

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Sep 22 14:48:54 UTC 2014

At 9/22/2014 01:04 AM, Benjamin Barrett wrote:
>I bet it's based on a pattern. Resumé with only one accent? BB

I urge those interested to look at the OED3 entry.

1)  For U.S. pronunciation, it has

r   as in run, terrier (main stress)
e  as in pet, ten
z  as in zoo, trees
    as in another (schwa)
m as in mine (secondary stress)
ay as in bay

2)  That's my pronunciation, and I naively would
spell it resumé to correspond with the short first e.

3)  resumé is one of the Forms shown.

4)  For one of the four "permitted" (gleaned?) Pronunciations, the OED tells me

     ju:  yoo as in dubious, barbecue

Don't most people pronounce "dubious" as "doo-"?

Joel