"ju:" = "yoo as in dubious, barbecue" in the OED

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 22 23:29:14 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 2:41 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:

> yoo as in dubious

Back in high school, one of my teachers used a variety of this
pronunciation that was even more extreme, like "jewbious," and "chewb" for
"tube," etc. That and his name, Robert Lambeck, coupled with weird
intonation, made me wonder whether he might not be some kind of really
fluent L2-speaker. Through the magic of Google, I can tell you that he was
just a regular feller, born in Milwaukee in 1917. No doubt, in his turn, he
found St. Louis speech to be rather strange.

Youneverknow.

--
-Wilson
-----