The Shakespearean play-goer who complained of the cliches

Wed Sep 24 01:12:37 UTC 2014

Evidently in _The Miracle of Language_ (see "A Man of Fire-New Words", http://www2.d125.org/~rtompson/lederer.pdf), 1991, Richard Lederer says:

-----
A student who attended a performance of Hamlet came away complaining that the play "was nothing more than a bunch of cliches." The reason for this common reaction...
-----

I recall first seeing this about 1992 or 1993, but my recollection is that it was an elderly woman who said this.

This might be worth researching for those who have an interest in such developments.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA

Learn Ainu! https://sites.google.com/site/aynuitak1/home