OT: French TV documentary, "Dans la peau d'un Noir"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 24 03:02:10 UTC 2014

Inspired by John Howard Griffin's "Black Like Me"

The speaker, a white make-up man, stutters,

"[Blah-blah-blah] le visage de, de, de un _black_, ... "

The speaker, a black man, says,

"[Blah-blah-blah] comme un  _black_."

Even when your command of spoken French s as poor as mine is, it's clear
that white speaker feels that he's dealing with an un-French locution. You
can easily hear  "... de un 'black,' pour ainsi dire,  ... "

OTOH, the black guy uses "black" as though that's his usual word.

Given that this doc is over three hours long, I'm going to assert that
"un(e) black, une blackette" are ordinary in ordinary written and spoken
French.

--
-Wilson
-----