The Shakespearean play-goer who complained of the cliches

Wed Sep 24 20:37:15 UTC 2014

Thank you for that correction. It seems perhaps that JL thought that, too.

I'm pretty sure the hyphen is completely inadequate for disambiguation. Unlike the comma, which has the semicolon for backup, the hyphen is left to its own devices and is quickly overwhelmed.

Looking casually at a couple of GB pages, it seems that "play-goer" is preferred to "play goer" (Google does't distinguish) but "playgoer" has a much higher number of hits. If I want to use "play-goer" or "playgoer," I don't think I can avoid this problem.

I do agree, though, that "Shakespearean-play goer" is better.

But then, what happens to a person who follows a will-o'-the-wisp? Are they are will-o'-the-wisp-follower? Will-o'-the-wisp=follower would be clearer.

Generally, I find that in technical writing, only the last item in a compound takes a hyphen, so that you see dry-cell-type instead of "dry-cell-type." This usage (which I employ in technical writing) avoids the will-o'-the-wisp overhyphenation problem.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA

Learn Ainu! https://sites.google.com/site/aynuitak1/home