"boots on the ground"

Christopher Philippo toff at MAC.COM
Fri Sep 26 16:18:14 UTC 2014

On Sep 26, 2014, at 12:01 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:
> does anyone have a take on why the U.S. =
> government (and maybe U.K., I can't remember) insists on referring to =
> our enemy as ISIL when everyone else calls them ISIS?

Possibly because Al-Sham means even less to Americans than the Levant does, and because it doesn’t make sense to give a nasty organization a nice acronym like ISIS.  Why not the Association for Slaughtering the Sum of Humanity Over the Levant Entire?  Members of the organization could then be called, you know…

Chris Philippo