"What's not to love?"

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Tue Sep 30 17:09:56 UTC 2014

I looked at a few more obituaries, and they didn't add much; none of them had any reference to religion.  Shulman's memorial service was at the Writers Guild Theatre in Beverly Hills.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of George Thompson
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 12:35 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: "What's not to love?"

Funny, he doesn't look Jewish.

From the biography in Literature OnLine, which categorizes him as Jewish,
though the bio doesn't expressly say so:
"Max Shulman was born in Saint Paul, Minnesota, on 14 March 1919, the son
of Abraham Shulman, a house painter, and Bessie Karchmer Schulman."

The NYTimes obit also doesn't directly say he was Jewish.  "Mr. Shulman was
born in St. Paul on March 14, 1919, the son of a Russian-born house
painter."   "Mr. Shulman is survived by . . . a sister, Esther Feldman, of
St. Paul."

I'm doing this from home, so I can't utilize my preferred system, which is
to look him up in books.  There are biographical encyclopedias of American
humorists and of Jewish writers I would look at, if they were at hand.

GAT

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 11:58 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
wrote:

> Interesting.  I kept thinking it sounded like a Yiddishism, and Max
> Shulman (of Dobie Gillis fame) would indeed qualify as a likely conduit.
> His Wikipage doesn't tell us that he was Jewish, but with a name like Max
> Shulman…
>
> I did learn from the Wikipedia page that Martha Rose Shulman, purveyor of
> vegetarian food columns in the Times, is Max's daughter, so that's
> something.
>
> LH
>
> On Sep 29, 2014, at 3:05 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole wrote:
>
> > Apparently "What's not to love?" was in a high-profile 1957 book.
> >
> > Year: 1957
> > Title: Rally Round The Flag, Boys!
> > Author: Max Shulman
> > Page 8 and 9 (according to GB)
> > Database: Google Books snippet unverified
> >
> > [Begin excerpt]
> > Here, obviously, was a
> > girl of passion and fire. Now it remained to find out
> > just what it was she was passionate and fiery about.
> > "I'm not quite sure I follow you," he said.
> > "Do you love children?"
> > "What's not to love?"
> > "Exactly. How can you help loveing those sweet,
> > innocent little things, so full of trust and affection,...
> > [End excerpt]
> >
> > Garson
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 2:50 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole
> > <adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Here's a 1965 cite for "what's not to love?" (I only looked in
> >> GenealogyBank and GB.)
> >>
> >> Date: November 21, 1965
> >> Newspaper: Evening Star
> >> Article: Glowing Exhibition at Phillips Now
> >> Author: Frank Getlein (Art Critic of The Star)
> >> Newspaper Location: Washington (DC), District of Columbia
> >> Quote Page: D3, Column: 1
> >> Database: GenealogyBank
> >>
> >> [Begin excerpt]
> >> Paris Paintings
> >>
> >> This is precisely how Loren
> >> MacIver paints her pictures.
> >>
> >> Take the city of Paris.
> >> Sizzling or dizzling, what's not
> >> to love? Here is how MacIver
> >> loves it:
> >> [End excerpt]

> [Volkswagen].

> wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>

> skeptical.

> truth."

> truth."

George A. Thompson
The Guy Who Still Looks Stuff Up in Books.
Univ. Pr., 1998..