[Ads-l] An appeal for DARE

Joan H. Hall jdhall at WISC.EDU
Mon Apr 6 16:19:00 UTC 2015

Allan Metcalf has just published an eloquent appeal for assistance for DARE:

http://chronicle.com/blogs/linguafranca/2015/04/06/requiem-for-a-dictionary-or-life-support/?cid=at&utm_source=at&utm_medium=en

It's our hope that we can not only continue adding new entries to DARE
and improving existing ones, but that we can also complete some ongoing
projects:

1) Creating the API for DARE so that developers can make apps utilizing
its wide-ranging materials (imagine an app for doctors, defining the
thousands of regional and folk names for ailments and diseases; an app
for regional foods; one for travelers in each region of the country; one
for bird-watchers, with all of our regional and folk names for birds;
one for writers who want their characters to use appropriate regional
words and phrases; one for makers of word games, etc.).

2) "Bleeping" the personal or confidential information in our collection
of 1,843 audio recordings made between 1965 and 1970 so that they can
all be posted on the UW-Madison's Digital Collections Center website.
(We are more than halfway through the project, which is being done by
graduate Project Assistants and undergraduate interns.)

3) Posting short segments of audio recordings from each state in the
"English Dialects" segment of this site:

http://csumc.wisc.edu/AmericanLanguages/index.htm

4) Posting results of our Online Survey of Wisconsin English here:

http://dare.wisc.edu/surveys/OSWE-maps

The audio recordings have been (and are being) used in many studies of
regional pronunciation and analyses of sound change over the last half
century. If you are interested in using any of them before they are all
freely available, please let me know and I can give you access.

Joan