[Ads-l] "paddy wagon" antedated

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Thu Apr 9 11:35:17 UTC 2015

1850 (c.1849) Ralph Waldo Emerson, Representative Men: Seven Lectures. Uses of Great Men. Page 35:
'Generous and handsome,' he says, 'is your hero; but look at yonder poor Paddy, whose country is his wheelbarrow;...."

From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Thursday, April 9, 2015 7:13 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] "paddy wagon" antedated

Fascinating.

I have seen 19th C. cartoons that depict victims of a donnybrook being
hauled away semiconscious in a wheelbarrow. Hence "paddy wagon."

Since 19th C. police in Boston and NY were also stereotypically Irish....

My grandparents (b. NYC in the 1880s) used the word exclusively in the
modern (er, I mean "more recent") sense.

JL