[Ads-l] Hager-ma growley (UNCLASSIFIED)

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Thu Apr 9 15:42:43 UTC 2015

I'd check the price of sturgeon vs. halibut in the vicinity of Saratoga Springs, NY, in the 1880s.  Sturgeon were from colonial days and now again are prized fish in the Hudson River (they were declared endangered in the 1960s).  "The largest of New York's sturgeons, Atlantic sturgeon in the Hudson River occasionally reach over 200 pounds in weight and six to eight feet in length."  And look up "Hudson River sturgeon caviar."
"The sturgeon used to be fished heavily to make a popular smoked meat known as Albany beef, named for the fish's upstream spawning site near the state capital of Albany."Joel
      From: Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Wednesday, April 8, 2015 10:09 PM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Hager-ma growley (UNCLASSIFIED)

> On Apr 8, 2015, at 4:27 PM, Mullins, Bill CIV (US) <william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL> wrote:
>
> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>
> Saratoga Spring NY _Daily Saratogan_ 22 Feb 1883
>
> "Beware, you base twelve-ounce-to-the-pound huckster, you gimlet-eyed
> seller of dog-sausage, you sanded-sugar idiot, you small potato three card
> monte sleight of hand rotten egg fiend, you villain that sells smoked sturgeon
> and dogfish for smoked halibut. The avenger is on your track."

These all seem like vile acts indeed except for the smoked-sturgeon-selling villain.  Could smoked halibut really have been more highly valued than smoked sturgeon?  Today, smoked sturgeon is available unsliced in 1.0-1.3 pound chunks at the moment for $32 at one site, and at another (http://www.911caviar.com) at $25.50 for a 10-12 ounce package.  Smoked halibut from Alaska seems is variably available for online purchase in the neighborhood of $20-$25 a pound.  So maybe today's villains would be selling smoked halibut for smoked sturgeon.  (Of course it's all a matter of supply, demand, and custom--back in 1883 fish-house workers were probably still rioting over being served oysters and lobsters too often.)

LH