[Ads-l] Hager-ma growley

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Thu Apr 9 16:02:17 UTC 2015

New York City newspapers from the early 1880s tend to quote sturgeon at about eight to ten cents per pound and halibut at about 18 to 20 cents per pound.  Perhaps more significantly, the New York Times on 7/17/1881 had an article entitled ""Halibut" for Inland Markets," describing how sturgeon from Michigan were smoked, dried, cut up, and shipped abroad as first-class halibut.  The article stated that "A dealer told me that fully nine-tenths of the meat sold in our inland markets is simply smoked sturgeon"; I believe "meat" refers only to halibut meat.

John Baker