[Ads-l] New sense of "supper club" =?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=94_?=underground or secret restaurant

James Callan scarequotes at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 9 17:21:05 UTC 2015

I was talking with some coworkers about Salut, a self-described "supper
club," by which they mean an underground ("pop-up") restaurant.

I grew up in Wisconsin, so I was familiar with the term "supper club," but
there was nothing secret about them.

Apparently, however, as Wikipedia puts it, "A newer usage of the term
supper club has emerged, referring to underground restaurants."

>From what I can tell, it's frequently prefixed with "underground" or
"secret," but not always. And the secret version is the only definition of
"supper club" my younger, California-born coworker knew.

Examples:
One increasingly popular approach- make new friends around the table, with
the help of technology.  Startups like Grubwithus and Spoondate make it
easy to meet new people over affordable restaurant meals. Similarly, the
explosion of supper clubs over the past four years underscores a growing
interest in having more adventurous and deeper social experiences around
food than possible at restaurants. Supper clubs are unofficial pop-up
restaurants, generally organized by amateur chefs and located in people’s
homes.  According to the Supper Club Fan Group Ning page,  there are 300+
clubs all over the world, although I’ve heard estimates in the thousands.
http://www.foodtechconnect.com/2011/08/10/former-airbnb-employees-launch-supper-club-discovery-reservation-platform-gusta/

It’s like a dinner party with strangers. Closed-door restaurants, also
known as underground restaurants or supper clubs, are private eateries
tucked away in a chef’s home. And though they’re not widely advertised,
they are often some of the most sought-after tables in town.
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/food-and-drink/best-of-food-and-drink/content/travel-tips-and-articles/77622

--
James Callan
Twitter: @scarequotes