[Ads-l] three card monte

Fri Apr 10 07:16:17 UTC 2015

Excellent point, Bill. The term "three card game" is a rather broad
sounding descriptor. Gathering more evidence in the time period and
location would be helpful to reduce residual ambiguities. San
Francisco seems to be a key location.

When I read the California statute (reprinted further below) it seemed
to be stating that "French Monte" and "Three Card Game" were the same
game. But this relationship might be dependent on a specific time and
location.

The statute also seemed to be stating that there was another game/con
that had two different names: "Loop" and "String Game". There is a
youtube video called "The Endless Chain" that might illustrate the
scam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7gMqemoR5I

Thanks for the off-list information you sent, and I certainly defer to
your expertise in cards, confidence tricks, and magic.

[Begin excerpt]
License not to extend to certain games.

4. No license issued under the provisions of this Act shall be so
construed as to allow the playing of the game known as "French Monte"
or "Three Card Game," or the game known as "Loop" or "String
Game," or the game known as "Thimbles," or the game known as
"Lottery," which are hereby expressly prohibited under the penalty
mentioned in the first section of this Act.
[End excerpt]

Garson