[Ads-l] Emerson on the road to the "Paddy wagon"

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Sun Apr 12 19:47:23 UTC 2015

"paneah"?  "Tzofnat Paneah" ("Revealer of the Hidden"), a pseudonym.  Egyptian? "Joseph himself was not known to the Egyptians as Joseph but rather by his Egyptian name tzofnat paneach[2]."  ("Decipherer of Secrets".)

"panach"?

Transliteration is treacherous (especially without vowel markings), and my knowledge of Hebrew (let alone Egyptian) is so limited as to be useless here.
Joel
      From: "Cohen, Gerald Leonard" <gcohen at MST.EDU>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Sunday, April 12, 2015 1:04 PM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Emerson on the road to the "Paddy wagon"

Joel may be on this right track in associating the wheelbarrow with the absence of a country to call one's own.  For a parallel development I googled "Jews, wheelbarrow" and found the following:
(https://books.google.com/books?id=6uRbAAAAQAAJ&dq=Jews,+wheelbarrow&source=gbs_navlinks) The book is titled "panah" (which I don't understand), 1850, but the page that comes up is from "Punch, or the London Charivari," vol. XIX, p. 72. The article is titled "Baron Rothschild On a Wheelbarrow" and begins:
'Martin Luther says of the Jews -- "They sit as on a wheelbarrow, without a country, a people, or government." -- This was said three hundred years ago; and the Jew is on the wheelbarrow still. ...'
---- Gerald Cohen