[Ads-l] Antedates: was RE: Derivation of "Kentucky" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mullins, Bill CIV (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Tue Apr 14 16:38:59 UTC 2015

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

The map Sam links to has a mountain range east of the Kentucke River called "Ouasioto Mountains", which got me looking for Ouachita mountains.
The OED has no listing for Ouachita, although it does include Ozarks.  (it has no listing for Ouasioto either, but that is not as surprising.)

The book below antedates OED Monongahela (OED has 1805, for Monogahela Whiskey)

p. 27
"MONAUNGAHELA is a very large Branch, at whose Junction with Ohio stands Fort du Quesne."

p. 29
"Louisa, New River and Green Briar, are fine large Branches of Canhawa; which in future Times will be of Service for the Inland Navigation of New Virginia, as they interlock with Monaungahela, Potomack, James River, Ronoak and the Cuttawa River."