[Ads-l] How's that, again?

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Wed Apr 15 14:18:34 UTC 2015

Addison was preceded in that regard, and at greater length (in verse), by
John Taylor the Water Poet, with his _A shilling or, The trauailes of
twelue-pence_ in 1621.

One strand in the creation of the genre of the novel was the
fictionalisation of memoir or autobiography, most notably (obviously) by
Daniel Defoe in _Robinson Crusoe_, _Moll Flanders_, etc.

Robin Hamilton

-----Original Message-----
From: Joel Berson
Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 2:44 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: How's that, again?

---------------------- Information from the mail
header -----------------------
Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Joel Berson <berson at ATT.NET>

In 1710 there was the autobiography (untitled) of a twelve-penny (one shill=
ing) piece, recounting its "life and adventures" (mainly transactions).=C2=
=A0 This is oral history, as the shilling could not write, transcribed it i=
s believed by Joseph Addison.
Tatler No. 249, November 11, 1710.=20
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/e/ecco/004786805.0001.000/1:64?rgn=3Ddiv1;view=
=3Dfulltext