[Ads-l] Fugazi

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 15 14:52:50 UTC 2015

The 1980 ex. in HDAS also comes from "Nam."

"Fugazy" is an Italian surname. During the 1970s - possibly earlier - WINS
radio regularly carried ads for "Fugazy Cadillac," a limousine service. It
is now "Fugazy Transportation":  http://www.fugazy.com/transportation/
That's /fiU 'gei zi/.

The ads were always spoken by the owner, Bill Fugazy:
http://www.lctmag.com/people/article/40677/lct-interview-with-new-yorks-bill-fugazy

I suspect that the slang application was suggested by the odd name, its
radio repetition, and its "fu" onset.

The available citations required HDAS II to spell the word with {i}

"Fugazy" is said to be an Americanization of the name "Fugazzi":

http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.fugazzi/5/mb.ashx

Wiktionary offers a couple of fugazy etymological conjectures, including
the seemingly inevitable acronymic SWAG.

JL