[Ads-l] WSJ covers "batting around"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Apr 21 21:02:42 UTC 2015

Neat.  I've been using that term for 60 years (well, not all that often, I concede) without ever realizing the tension between these two possible senses. And I have no idea which one is more intuitive.  I feel sort of like I have the deja vu of whether the century ended on 12/31/1999 or 12/31/2000 all over again.  And what if the first guy up is pinch-run for after getting on base, so when it comes around to that place in the order there's a different guy who needs to hit.  Then "the first guy" can never "bat twice" in the inning, but that shouldn't matter for the 10-guys-have-to-come-to-bat side in the dispute.  Maybe "the first guy" has to be interpreted more abstractly.  Or we just declare the other side (the only-9-guys-have-to-come-to-bat adherents) the winners by fiat.  Wars have been fought over less.

LH