[Ads-l] locomotives as female

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 22 02:41:02 UTC 2015

If you click the "previous version" link at the top right of the
online entry for "she," you'll find it in OED2:

---
2. a. Of a ship or boat. Also (now chiefly in colloquial and dialect
use), often said of a carriage, a cannon or gun, a tool or utensil of
any kind; occas. of other things.
In quots. c 1380 and c 1475 the grammatical gender of the Fr. words
rendered may have influenced the translators.
1375 Barbour Bruce iii. 626 And thar schip thai lychtyt sone‥And scho,
that swa wes maid lycht, Raykyt slidand throw the se. c1380 Sir
Ferumb. 2182, & þoȝ þe dore were strong & huge, wiþ þe strok sche
fleȝ.
---

But in OED3, the 1375 cite has been removed, for reasons unknown.