[Ads-l] exploration of eeny meenie miney etc.

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 24 20:25:15 UTC 2015

FWIW, I read somewhere-nother - The Book of Knowledge? - back in the '40's,
that "eeny-meeny-miny-moe" was Welsh. When I found out that these sounds
didn't correspond to the number-names in Welsh, I didn't give it further
thought.

For many years, the only version of this that I knew was the WWII version,

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe
Catch a Jap by the toe
If he hollers O-E-O
Throw him over in To-kee-o

As a consequence, the title of Chester Himes's novel, "If He Hollers, Let
Him Go" had no special meaning for me, until very recently. I grew up with
"Acker, backer, soda cracker," "Inker, stinker, bottle of inker," "One
potato, two potato," and "tossing the bat," which involved the literal
tossing of a softball bat.

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 11:58 AM, David Daniel <dad at coarsecourses.com>
wrote:

> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       David Daniel <dad at COARSECOURSES.COM>
> Subject:      RES: exploration of eeny meenie miney etc.

> Um... yan, tan, tether dick, and yan, tan, tether bumfit? Somebody be
> pulling somebody's chain here...
> DAD

-Wilson
-----