[Ads-l] Snowclone: Can a (derog) X get a Y?

Sat Apr 25 04:24:58 UTC 2015

The responses to this thread were all interesting.

I agree that it's not possible to always distinguish when "Can an X get
a Y" is meant literally. It seems there is a development from literal to
rhetorical and then to rhetorical with a derogatory noun.

Today, I spoke with the Jewish friend whose quote started this thread,
and he told me it comes from "Table Dance" by 2 Live Crew
(http://bit.ly/1DtG7Cx); he even had the song on his smartphone. For
whatever reason, I immediately knew his quote came from the N word
version. "Table Dance" was released in 1996, the same year as the Chris
Rock skit I cited (http://snltranscripts.jt.org/96/96e.phtml).

Chris Rock gets a lot of credit for the song "Table Dance." See, for
example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYJNCNrwi_g, where he is listed
as the artist, and http://bit.ly/1JDOGOW where he is listed as an artist
along with Maestro (who also gets a lot of credit for the song), but I
wasn't able to verify that in a short search.

According to http://bit.ly/1JDPlzX, 2 Live Crew's song "Table Dance" was
written by David Hobbs, Mark Ross and Chris Wong Won.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA

Learn Ainu! https://sites.google.com/site/aynuitak1/home