[Ads-l] locomotives as female

Dave Hause dwhause at CABLEMO.NET
Sat Apr 25 16:05:45 UTC 2015

Lots of hits for the search for "mae west lickety split" such as
http://www.portlandmercury.com/BlogtownPDX/archives/2012/06/29/selections-from-my-random-house-historical-dictionary-of-american-slang
or http://tinyurl.com/lyuzkaa which quotes "Mae West jokes are in again
(e.g., Mae on phone to Chinese laundry: 'Where the hell is my laundry? Get
it over here right away.' Chinaman on arrival: 'I come lickety-split, Mae
West.' Mae: 'Never mind that. Just gimme the laundry.')."

Dave Hause, dwhause at cablemo.net
Waynesville, MO
-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Lighter
Sent: Saturday, April 25, 2015 8:17 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: locomotives as female

We watched _North by Northwest_ last night.

I wonder now what it actually means to say that the tunnel moment in
question, the final moment of the film, is a "phallic symbol."

Even after our discussion, its phallicity was not obvious to me or my wife,
two Phds who spent years teaching freshmen how to read literature.

Does it mean:

1. That had it occurred in a dream, Freud would have regarded it as a
symbol of repressed sexual desire?

2. That Hitchcock [sic] placed it in the movie for his own unconscious
sexual motives?

3. That Hitchcock [sic] placed it there deliberately to show an obtuse
world that Mr. and Mrs. Thornhill were at that very moment getting it on?
(He's already indicated overtly - bed, honeymoon, etc. - that they were.)

4. That it just means, you know, like, um, sex, and we're expected to
chuckle at how perceptive we are?

5. That it doesn't particularly "mean" sex in context, it's just the end of
the movie, but that we're supposed to chuckle, as in 4, because only a
hopelessly repressed loser wouldn't think of sex when confronted with that
image?

6. None or all of the above.

Of similar interest (but undoubtedly close to 4, above) is the arguably
gratuitous use of "lickety-split" in the latest Duluth Trading Co. ad:

http://blog.duluthtrading.com/dry-on-the-fly-pants-snail-tv-commercial/

A college classmate once told me (ca1972) that "lickety-split" "means oral
sex."  When I asked him to use it in a sentence, he couldn't. (Though one
may easily formulate an ad-hoc joke about race car drivers and Italian
lesbians.)

So "mean" can be used to mean "should make you think of, if you're as smart
as I am."
Especially sex.

JL