[Ads-l] Phrase: drop-dead gorgeous - NYT obit for Richard Corliss and OED

Sun Apr 26 17:42:17 UTC 2015

The Wikipedia article for Richard Corliss has now been updated to
remove the claim. The edit history indicated that the modification was
performed by a person who was not a registered Wikipedian. Below is
the comment that accompanied the change:

[Begin excerpt]
(Not true, "drop-dead gorgeous" was not coined by Corliss. He used the
term, but there are many earlier examples.)
[End excerpt]

Jesse was probably addressing Ben. But I will comment because it is an
interesting question.

Nowadays, I do not modify public-facing Wikipedia pages. Multiple
reference notes in Wikipedia and Wikiquote now point to the Quote
Investigator (QI) website. The QI website is treated as a reliable
source. Making direct modifications in Wikipedia can raise complex
issues involving conflict of interest.

Independent researchers face thorny issues with Wikipedia. For
example, the volunteer editors created an article titled "For sale:
baby shoes, never worn" about a short-short story attributed to Ernest
Hemingway. The crucial content of this article was largely lifted from
an article I wrote on this topic. Reference notes 1 a b c d e f all
point to my website.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_sale:_baby_shoes,_never_worn

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/01/28/baby-shoes/

Traffic that would flow to the QI website has been diverted to
Wikipedia because a Wikipedia article is given a high ranking position
in search results generated by Google and Bing. Any
advertiser-supported website would be hurt by reduced traffic.
(Currently, QI has no advertisements, but that may change some day.)

Garson