[Ads-l] Major Discovery Relating to "Whole Nine Yards"

Mon Apr 27 23:35:29 UTC 2015

Below are two more citations on this theme from the same newspaper.
The phrase "six yards long" was used to describe a song and a poem.
Perhaps it was jocular term meaning inordinately long.

Date: February 10, 1896
Newspaper: The Atlanta Constitution
Newspaper Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Quote Page 4

[Begin excerpt]
"A song beats a sigh," says a poet. But
that depends. Suppose a song is six yards
long?
[End excerpt]

Date: July 7, 1900
Newspaper: The Atlanta Constitution
Newspaper Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Quote Page 4

[Begin excerpt]
New and Original.

We have the following poem from a new
hand in southwest Georgia.   It is brief,
but expressive:   . . .

"At another time I think I'll write (if still
  my health is strong)
Of the beauties of this land of light, in a
  poem six yards long:
[End excerpt]

Garson