[Ads-l] Major Discovery Relating to "Whole Nine Yards"

Tue Apr 28 12:37:03 UTC 2015

The 1895 comical poem that appeared in "The Atlanta Constitution" was
reprinted in other periodicals. See below.

The humorous verse included the line "He wrote a poem six yards long"
about a violet. A measurement in yards was often specified for
fabrics. Indeed, the work contained the funny revelation that the poem
"Was cloth--from Sallie's hat!"

In 1896 "The Atlanta Constitution" printed the following passage:

[Begin excerpt]
"A song beats a sigh," says a poet. But that depends. Suppose a song
is six yards long?
[End excerpt]

In 1902 "The Atlanta Constitution" printed the following passage:

[Begin excerpt]
The International Magazine of Billville has out a prospectus nine yards long.
[End excerpt]

Bonnie found a citation from 1907 in Lawrence County, Indiana.

[Begin excerpt]
This afternoon at 2:30 will be called one of the baseball games that
will be worth going a long way to see.  The regular nine is going to
play the business men as many innings as they can, but we can not
promise the full nine yards.
[Begin excerpt]

Perhaps "we can not promise the full nine yards" means "we can not
promise the full inordinately long detailed description of the
baseball game". That use would fit with the use in "The Atlanta
Constitution".

Here are some other periodicals with the 1895 poem.