[Ads-l] Youneverknow: "bleb"

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Tue Apr 28 23:49:25 UTC 2015

If you invented it, Wilson, how come I knew it before I met you?  (I'm visualizing "The African Queen".)

It's in the OED, sense 1 = "A blister or small swelling on the skin; also a similar swelling on plants" (and not described as regional).

Joel

________________________________
From: Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2015 10:53 PM
Subject: [ADS-L] Youneverknow: "bleb"

"Now, the leeches, in sucking, do engender and leave behind little _blebs_
or blisters full of blood."

Lives of Fair and Gallant Ladies
Brantôme, Pierre de Bourdeille, Seigneur de, 1540-1614
Translated by A[lfred].R[ichard]. Allinson in 2 vols.
Charles Carrington: Paris, 1901-1902

Until ca. 45 minutes ago, I was under the impression that I personally had
invented the word, "bleb," used in just this meaning of "small wound"  and
that I was the only person in the history of the English language ever to
use it.
--
-Wilson
-----