[Ads-l] "Making the nut" explained

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 29 16:28:48 UTC 2015

Why I love this list: a quick search for "making the nut" found a 1917 use
in The Billboard, May 19, 1917, talking about circuses (!), and which also
used the phrase "a bit of velvet". I was unfamiliar with the latter phrase,
so I learned something, and note that it is an interesting usage after
OED's 1912 cite, which still has velvet it quotes.

DanG