[Ads-l] "Making the nut" explained

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Thu Apr 30 02:39:52 UTC 2015

Garson's "metaphorical analysis" below is much more plausible to me than the notion that "making" means "cracking".

I see "making the nut" as "coming up with a required payment".  In Garson's many examples of "nut" in his earlier message, it isn't always a (perhaps small) down payment, but sometimes the full amount (such as the "rental charge due each night to the owner of the cab").
But Garson's analysis may still apply -- the original metaphor may have been to "seed (money)", and it was later extended to any required amount.

 Joel

     From: ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2015 10:23 PM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] "Making the nut" explained

Here is one possible metaphorical analysis. A nut is a seed. It is a
compact object that can be planted, and if it is cared for properly it
will grow into a tree or bush which is much larger than the seed. Of
course, the nut might fail to yield a tree, or the tree might be
small.

So, the "nut" is a small initial payment one makes in the hope that
one will obtain a large return. The term "seed" in "seed money" would
be analogous, but the earliest OED cite for "seed money" is dated
1966. The date for "seed money" can be pushed back to 1954, but that
is still much later than "nut" in the sense under examination.