[Ads-l] in honor of Jon and Wilson

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Aug 1 00:16:50 UTC 2015

> On Jul 31, 2015, at 7:32 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 5:49 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> tries another tact
>

> "Tries another tactic" v. "takes another tack": can the truth ever be
> known? ;-)

Reminds me of "tenure tract", "tract lighting" and "8-tract tapes" (although those could be seen as hypercorrections for "track of land" and such)--all these, as I recall, are in the eggcorn database, and we've discussed several in earlier threads years ago.  I was assuming the Times writer/editor had "tack" in mind but as Wilson suggests maybe "tactic" is involved too subliminally.  Hard to know for sure, at least without the use of torture....er, enhanced interrogation.

LH