[Ads-l] Facebook

Sat Aug 1 20:54:17 UTC 2015

Apparently an instance of the tale was included in a 1958 article
titled "Marginality and Jewish Humor":

[ref] 1958, Midstream, Volume 4, Number 2, Marginality and Jewish
Humor by Bernard Rosenberg and Gilbert Shapiro, Start Page 70, Quote
Page 70 and 71, Theodor Herzl Foundation, New York. (Google Books
snippet; data may be inaccurate; not yet verified in paper; article
title visible in snippet; citation data is conjectural and was
assembled from multiple sources)[/ref]

[Begin extracted text]
Thus: A lady approaches a very dignified
man on the subway and asks him,
"Pardon me for asking, but are you
Jewish?" He coldly replies, "No."
She returns in a moment and apolo-