[Ads-l] "One man's terrorist..."

Sun Aug 2 01:50:32 UTC 2015

Interesting, JL. Barry Popik has pertinent citations beginning in 1957.

"One man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter"
Entry from October 09, 2011
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/one_mans_terrorist_is_another_mans_freedom_fighter

[Begin excerpt]
Time magazine
Letters, Apr. 1, 1957
Monday, Apr. 01, 1957
Sir:
Your March 11 issue contains two articles: one on “terrorists,” the
other on “freedom fighters.” This raises an interesting question:
Would a dastardly “terrorist” become a heroic “freedom fighter” if he
happened to be a Hungarian instead of a Cypriot?
J. H. GROFF Souderton, Pa.
[End excerpt]

"The Dictionary of Modern Proverbs" from Charlie, Wolfgang, and Fred
has an entry with citations beginning in 1970:

[Begin excerpt]
One man’s terrorist is another man's freedom fighter (One man’s
freedom fighter is another man’s terrorist).

1970 Christian E. Hauer Jr., Crisis and Conscience in the Middle East
(Chicago: Quadrangle) 41: "One man’s terrorist is another man's heroic
freedom fighter. But terrorist activity was a fact of daily life in
Palestine."
[End excerpt]

Nigel Rees included an entry on the topic in "Brewer's Famous
Quotations", and he mentioned a thematically related passage
contrasting the terrorist and the policeman in "Secret Agent" (1907).

Garson