[Ads-l] Mickey D's

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 2 04:34:25 UTC 2015

My point wasn't that McDonald's is referred to as "Mickey D's" but that the
use of "Mickey" as a nickname for names beginning with M(a)c-, instead of
the "Mac(k)" that I'm accustomed to using, dates back at least to the day
that McHouston Baker, born in 1925, became "Mickey" Baker and not merely to
whenever McDonald's became "Mickey D's."

I regret the lack of clarity. :-(

On Sun, Aug 2, 2015 at 12:18 AM, ADSGarson O'Toole <
adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Mickey D's

> The columnist William Raspberry used "Mickey D's" as a nickname for
> McDonald's in November 1976:
>
> [ref] 1976 November 14, Morning Star, An interruption, or a client? by
> William Raspberry, Quote Page G7, Column 2, Rockford, Illinois.
> (GenealogyBank)[/ref]
>
> [Begin excerpt]
> ... my 7-year-old daughter, Patricia, came home from McDonald's with a
> "customer satisfaction card" on which she was supposed to rate such
> things as food, service and cleanliness at the neighborhood "Mickey
> D's."
> [End excerpt]
>
> In 1975 an album "People's Choice - Boogie Down U.S.A." featured a
> track titled "Mickey D's". A review on the iTunes website stated that
> the track was an instrumental, so apparently there were no lyrics to
> guide an interpretation of the title. This use might be unconnected
> and coincidental.
>
> [ref] 1975 September 6, Billboard, First Time Around, (Review of
> People's Choice - Boogie Down U.S.A.) Start Page 66, Quote Page 67,
> Billboard Publications, Inc. New York. (Now Published by Nielsen
> Business Media, Inc.) (Google Books Full View)[/ref]
>
> [Begin excerpt]
> Best cuts: "Are You Sure," "Mickey D's," "Boogie Down, U.S.A."
> "Nursery Rhymes," "Don't Send Me Away."
> [End excerpt]
>
> Garson
>

> On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 8:01 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> -----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
> > Subject:      Re: Mickey D's

> > HDAS: 1977.
> >
> > I first heard it about 1983, long before they used it in commercials.
> > Within a couple of years it was common on the UTK campus.
> >
> > JL
> >
> > On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 7:19 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
> > wrote:

> >> -----------------------
> >> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> >> Poster:       Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
> >> Subject:      Re: Mickey D's

> >> There's speculation on the web, but no clear answers.  Some,
> apparently, =
> >> see it as having originated as a "black thing"; here are some responses
> =
> >> to that, with no consensus:
> >>
> >> http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-158179.html
> >>
> >> I've heard it for ages but I have no idea where it came from and can't =
> >> imagine using it myself.  (The nickname, that is; I have used
> McDonald's =
> [...]

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain