[Ads-l] Heard: "dekkid"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Aug 2 14:21:07 UTC 2015

> On Aug 2, 2015, at 3:13 AM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> Spoken by the Canadian(!) actor, a native of Tronna, Rainbow Sun Francks
> a.k.a. "Dev Clark," on the The Mentalist variant, The Listener:
>
> "She was hospitalized for bipolar disorder, over a dekkid ago."
> --
> -Wilson

Maybe it's not that infrequent in UK English and thus at least potentially in some varieties of Canadian Eng.  Here's the OED pronunciation info:

/ˈdɛkeɪd/ /-əd/

If that doesn't reproduce, the second variant has a schwa:  /'dEk at d/.  Never heard it in real life myself.  (Rhymes with "nekkid", which might be convenient for versifiers.)

LH