[Ads-l] "No Irish Need Apply" (1797?) -- message from Barry Popik

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Tue Aug 4 18:44:57 UTC 2015

Barry Popik just sent the message  below to several ads-l members,
and I now share it with the entire listserv:
From: Barry Popik [bapopik at aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2015 1:20 PM
Subject: "No Irish Need Apply" (1797?)

All right, this is a crucially important and spanking new citation,
from NewspaperArchive:
7 December 1810,_London Morning Post_, "WILLIAM COBBETT," pg. 3, col. 3:
Of Irishmen, the most worthless of whom are now endeared to the heart
of COBBETT, he formerly spoke thus;--
"I want a Printer -- NO DAMNABLE IRISHMAN need apply.
"WILLIAM COBBETT."
COBBETT'S _Porcupine Gazette, Philadelphia_, 1797.
As I stated before, I have a website and previously wrote about early
"No Irish Need Apply" cites from the 1820s and 1830s here:
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/no_irish_need_apply/
Rebecca Fried missed my work and found the earliest citations from only
the 1840s.
The media story is, as SEVENTEEN magazine proclaims, "This Savvy Eighth
Grader Changed US History With One Simple Google Search."
<snip....
Gotta work on my five new daily entries now. <snip>
Barry Popik
Goshen, NY
www.barrypopik.com