[Ads-l] Anglicizing carpe diem

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Sun Aug 9 00:43:34 UTC 2015

"Carpe diem" (verb) seems to mean "seize the body, sexually"!

Joel

      From: Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2015 6:49 PM
 Subject: [ADS-L] Anglicizing carpe diem

I probably learned the term "carpe diem" in high school, but it sticks
in my memory mainly from "Dead Poet's Society," a 1989 film
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpe_diem) about living for the moment
even if it means death.

World Dictionary of Foreign Expressions: A Resource for Readers and Writers
By Gabriel Adeleye, Kofi Acquah-Dadzie
defines (http://bit.ly/1T6VAW2) "carpe diems" as a plural noun meaning:
Enjoying the pleasures of the day with no regard for the future

The Oxford Dictionary site
(https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/carpe-diem?q=carpe+diem)
says "carpe diem" is an exclamation and Wiktionary
(https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/carpe_diem) labels it a proverb, but the
phrase has found its way into various parts of speech.

1. Despite the label Wiktionary gives the expression, that page provides
an attributive citation:

=====
1905, G. K. Chesterton, Heretics[1], New York: John Lane, OL 24174141M:
It is the carpe diem religion; but the carpe diem religion is not the
religion of happy people, but of very unhappy people.
=====

2. _English Department Newsletter_
September 7, 1943
Evidently by Lt. B. Baum, evidently edited by Angell Hall
http://bit.ly/1Iua6PC

=====
I was granted an eight-day leave, ... was spent carpe-dieming roundabout
N.Y.--trying out new ... and seeing shows and just generally practicing
a decent ... epicureanism.
=====

3. "Correspondence" in _The Carleton Miscellany_ by Rackstraw Downes
Winter 1962
p. 108
http://bit.ly/1W9htDc
Full text available under Download > All at http://bit.ly/1f0BABD

=====
"As venerable as _carpe diem_" he writes a few pagers later. Because
Catullus and half a dozen others in antiquity wrote classic _carpe
diems_, does this in any sense invalidate e.g. Ronsard's, Ben Johnson's,
e. e. cummings' exquisite variations?
=====

I have no idea what this means, but it looks like a noun use.

http://bit.ly/1T6Uc5M and http://bit.ly/1W9hVBt from the 1970s seem to
have similar uses. 1995 http://bit.ly/1KaWGWE seems to define a "carpe
diem" as an exhortation to seize the day.

4. _Another Chicano Magazine_
1989, dating by Google
http://bit.ly/1DDHS5P

=====
He carpe diems and grabs her, thigh-high, in pretense of helping "steady
as she goes." The firm, slick nylon translates to his pituitary some
urgent four-letter code.
=====

5. _Enter Whining_
1996
By Fran Drescher
http://bit.ly/1IPIgdJ, http://bit.ly/1MUnQas

=====
You'll laugh at the way Fran schmoozes her way into her own television
series as she carpe diems with a CBS network executive who has the
misfortune of being trapped in first class ("Where was he gonna go,
coach?") with her on a 747 to
=====

6. _Photographer's Forum_, Volume 22
1999, Google dated
http://bit.ly/1KXSQWF

=====
I "carpe diemed" a few times in my life.
=====

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA

Learn Ainu! https://sites.google.com/site/aynuitak1/home