[Ads-l] worm

Mon Aug 10 00:09:18 UTC 2015

Mysteriously, the addendum by JL, posted at 2:21, arrived in my mail well
before his original message, posted at 2:14.
Is this technology imitating the post office?  I also recently received the
July 31 issue of a magazine, and a few days later the July 24 issue.

In bafflement,
GAT

On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 2:21 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> And don't overlook "burp the worm" :
>
> 1985 _Maledicta_ VIII 106: To masturbate (of males)..._burp the worm_.
>
> Many, many Googles.
>
> JL
>

> On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 2:14 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> > -----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
> > Subject:      worm

> > Penis. Early:
> >
> > 1927 _South Western Reporter_ CCXCV  789 [St. Paul, Minn.: West
> Publishing]
> > [GB]: Did he tell you to tell the court and jury that this man made you
> > suck his worm?
> >
> > Earlier [HDAS files]:
> >
> > 1888 _Stag Party_  [unp.] [N.p., n.d.] : Whose worm have you had in your
> > little inside?
> >
> > Earliest [HDAS files]:
> >
> > ca1600, T. Nashe in  E. J. Burford _Bawdy Verse_ (Harmondsworth: Penguin,
> > 1982)  35: Perhaps the silly _Worm_ hath laboured sore,/ And worked so
> that
> > it can do no more.
> >
> > JL
> >
> > --
> truth."

> --

George A. Thompson
The Guy Who Still Looks Stuff Up in Books.
Univ. Pr., 1998..