[Ads-l] Media inquiry: "Law Offices of", why always plural?

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Mon Aug 10 19:57:54 UTC 2015

I've just received the media inquiry below and don't have an answer.
Would someone on our listserv perhaps have a suggestion?

Gerald Cohen

*   *  *   *   *

From: Philip Johnson [Philip_Johnson at dailyjournal.com]
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2015 1:29 PM
To: Cohen, Gerald Leonard
Subject: Media inquiry

Sir,

I write for a legal publication and have a question on the origin of the term “Law Offices of ….”. Why is it always law officeS, the plural? What if it is just one room? Wouldn’t that make it a law office? A lot of solo attorneys advertise as having Law Offices, and I imagine them going back and forth between dimly lit rooms to read legal texts and ponder deeply. I’m wondering if there is a story behind that plural form?

Phil Johnson
Reporter, Northern California Superior Courts
415-296-2445