[Ads-l] go for a "Burton"--a 1944 etymology guess

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Fri Aug 14 10:42:19 UTC 2015

It might.
Where's the ad?
(Not in British Newspaper Archive, apparently.)

Stephen Goranson
http://people.duke.edu/~goranson/

From: American Dialect Society... on behalf of Jonathan Lighter ...
Sent: Friday, August 14, 2015 6:37 AM
To: ...
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] go for a "Burton"--a 1944 etymology guess

I discovered this long, long ago, don't remember where. Partridge?

At any rate, I have seen the newspaper ads for Burton's Ale. There's an
empty chair (as I recall) and the printed dialogue:

"Where's  [X]?"
"He's gone for a Burton."

That would do it.

JL

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 6:02 AM, Stephen Goranson ...