[Ads-l] go for a "Burton"--a 1944 etymology guess

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 14 14:18:19 UTC 2015

I distrust the Burton for curtain theory -- rhyming slang usually uses the
non-rhyming word as the 'code', so Monty means Montague Burton means
curtain.

British music halls might allow a phrase like "He's gone for a Burton" to
persist in the culture long after the product has passed on. Nowadays TV
does that job. How old do you have to be to actually remember "the thrill
of victory, the agony of defeat", anyway? WWoS ended 17 years ago...

DanG