[Ads-l] go for a "Burton"--a 1944 etymology guess

Fri Aug 14 15:39:07 UTC 2015

Circa 1942 a journal called "Great Britain and the East" presented a
passage of slang together with a translation. However, the Burton
phrase was given a different meaning:

Slang: One bought it; the other two went for a Burton.

Translation: One was killed: the other two were severely reprimanded.

A line with three asterisks was used as a spacer in the original text.

Year: 1943 (GB Year is 1942; probes for 1943 show headers indicating
some issues in the volume appeared in 1943; the body of the text
mentioned 1942 as the date the slang was spoken)
Periodical: Great Britain and the East
Volume 59
Quote Page GB 29
(Google Books snippet view; metadata may be inaccurate; OCR errors may
be present; should be verified on paper/microfilm)

[Begin extracted text]
An item to conclude with even more
Shavian in style than Shaw. Here it is:
"Three ropey types, all sprogs, pranged
a cheeseye kite on bumps and circuits.
One bought it; the other two went for
a Burton. They'd taken a shagbat Wofficer,
who was browned off, along, and the Queen
Bee was hopping mad." This may sound
like double Dutch or a section from a
New York cab-driver's vocabulary, but
it's nothing of the sort. It's the King's
English,  1942 version, as spoken--some-
times--by the Royal Air Force.

* * *

A translation for those who don't
understand such modern English would
read: "Three unpopular individuals, all
brand new pilot officers, crashed a worn-
out aircraft while making practice cir-
cuits and landings. One was killed: the
other two were severely reprimanded.
The station commander disapproved and
roundly rated them. They had taken
along a somewhat plain W.A.A.F. officer,
who was bored, and the W.A.A.F. com-
mandant was very angry.
                     LONDONER.
[End extracted text]