[Ads-l] go for a "Burton"--a 1944 etymology guess (UNCLASSIFIED)

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 16 00:06:31 UTC 2015

There is a subtle difference between "gone for a Burton" and "gone for a
Burton's". A Burton is a kind of beer that travelled well, which was
important in a global empire. It may have the most popular kind of beer in
Britain in the 19th C.

Burton's was a brand that tried and failed to play off Burton. It had gone
bankrupt before WWII ever started.