[Ads-l] go for a "Burton"--a 1944 etymology guess (UNCLASSIFIED)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Aug 17 02:30:39 UTC 2015

> On Aug 16, 2015, at 3:55 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> Cf. Housman's justifiably long-popular "Terence, this is stupid stuff"
> (pub. 1896):
>
> "Say, for what were hop-yards meant,
> Or why was Burton built on Trent?"

Although perhaps popular more for the quatrain that follows

Many a peer of England brews
Livelier liquor than the Muse.
And malt does more than Milton can
To justify God's ways to man.

and the envoi

I tell a tale that I heard told--
Mithridates, he died old.

I had the whole thing memorized once upon a time, but that was back when I was a (non-Shropshire) lad...

LH