[Ads-l] Chronic

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 18 19:16:38 UTC 2015

If "chronic" was in use for marijuana  in 1949 - and commonly enough for
Monteleone to have heard it - I think we would have more evidence of it
before its appearance in the '90s.

Monteleone's book is simply a list of words with brief definitions - more
words than anybody might reasonably expect to hear "in the wild."

As "drug addict," "chronic" appeared earlier  without provenance (and with
other rare terms listed by Monteleone) in Berry and Van den Bark's
well-known slang Thesaurus of 1942.

JL