[Ads-l] fool-proof and fail-proof

Thu Aug 20 17:48:17 UTC 2015

When I worked in an automobile factory in the 1990s, I was told that
both English and Japanese had undergone a movement away from using
"fool" ("baka" in Japanese) to describe these mechanisms so as to not
insult workers. A summary can be found of the Japanese issue on various
websites, including http://thequalityportal.com/pokayoke.htm,
http://www.themanagementor.com/EnlightenmentorAreas/mfg/QM/pokayoke.htm
and http://leanmanufacturingtools.org/494/poka-yoke/.

I don't see a webpage describing this for the English words, so my
memory might be bad or maybe it's just not out there.

The word "poka-yoke" (with or without the hyphen) has entered English in
lean manufacturing. It isn't on the Oxford Dictionary site, but it is
defined in Wiktionary (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/poka-yoke): "A
methodology of using low-cost techniques to error-proof production
processes." I think "poke-yoke" is more about the mechanism itself, but
perhaps it covers the concept as well.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA

Learn Ainu! https://sites.google.com/site/aynuitak1/home