[Ads-l] on the WOTY watch--"unicorn" and "unicorn poaching"

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 21 16:34:53 UTC 2015

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 12:12 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:

> http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/19/technology/unicorns-hunt-for-talent-among-silicon-valleys-giants.html
>
> Ben will probably tell us that they've been around for a while, but I do
> like trying to guess at what someone (like me) who encountered "unicorn
> poaching" out of the blue would come up with for a meaning (perhaps
> the preferred way to prepare unicorns if you're a health-savvy consumer,
> perhaps with a garlic sriracha dipping sauce).

I covered tech "unicorns" back in March for my WSJ column:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-unicorns-became-silicon-valley-companies-1426861606

(Now paywalled, but you can get around that by Googling for the
headline, "How Unicorns Became Silicon Valley Companies.")

More from me in this Fox Business interview:

http://finance.yahoo.com/video/why-silicon-valley-calling-billion-181328298.html

--bgz