[Ads-l] Heard: "I've had dinner...

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 25 12:06:25 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 12:15 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
wrote:

> the three options in such cases: "vernacular _me and X_", =
> "standard _X and me_", and "polite _X and I_", the last o which some =
> would call hypercorrect rather than merely polite.

People have been having a problem with this, in my experience, since
teachers got serious about "proper English," back in 1942, starting with an
attempt to end the use of "me and you/him/her/them/me and [Name] and them"
in the Subjective case. In high school, there was *heavy* emphasis on the
use of "proper English" in *writing.* It certainly worked for me. I don't
under-correct or over-correct, except for effect. Unless I've simply
fxcked, of course.

OTOH, the writers for today's alumni news and for today's school paper are
just as subject to write "with he and I" as any random troll on Facebook.

--
-Wilson
-----