[Ads-l] Proverb: Give a man a fish versus teach a man to fish

Sat Aug 29 19:34:46 UTC 2015

The following saying has been examined by Ralph Keyes in "The Quote
Verifier", Fred R. Shapiro in "The Yale Book of Quotations", and Barry
Popik at "The Big Apple".

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and
he will eat for a lifetime.

Way back in August 2010 I posted to the ADS list with a relevant
citation from 1885, but Ralph Keyes had already included the 1885
citation in "The Quote Verifier". I also posted a 1911 cite that
remains pertinent.

Now an entry on this topic has been placed on the Quote Investigator
website, and the individuals listed above were acknowledged together
with ADS discussants George Thompson and Victor Steinbok.

Here is a link to Barry's entry:
http://bit.ly/1iagfb9

Here is a link to the QI website:
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2015/08/28/fish/