[Ads-l] Jack pot

Tue Dec 1 03:02:10 UTC 2015

Thanks for your response Peter R., and thanks for your helpful advice
about categories of entities with misleading dates.

The link you included points to the tenth edition (based on the title
page and preface title) of "The Modern Pocket Hoyle" with a copyright
date of 1880 and the somewhat confusing additional note: "Entered
according to Act of Congress in the year1868".

 http://hdl.handle.net/2027/hvd.hn5tsq?urlappend=%3Bseq=6

In Peter M.'s original message he included a link to the seventh
edition (based on the title page and preface title) of "The Modern
Pocket Hoyle" in Google Books.

http://tinyurl.com/pq5g9mu

The seventh edition did mention "Jack Pots" and stated in the preface
that "Jack Pots" was a new addition to the text. The edition included
the note "Entered according to Act of Congress in the year 1868". But
unlike the tenth edition, the seventh edition did not include an
additional copyright notice.

Following the link from GB to WorldCat leads to a catalog entry that
claims the 1868 copyright is accurate.

I probed the text for every year between 1868 and 1880 inclusive and
only found matches for 1868.

On page 369 there is an article titled "THE ENGLISH LAWS OF LA CROSSE"
then ends with an asterisk that points to a footnote mentioning 1868.

[Begin excerpt]
Arranged by the Association and confirmed by all the associate clubs
February 12, 1868.
[End excerpt]

It is possible that the 1868 date is accurate. So far, the evidence
I've seen is consistent with a date of 1868. But as you noted, it is
conceivable that Dick & Fitzgerald did not include an updated
copyright notice.

Feedback and additional thoughts are welcome,
Garson