[Ads-l] mole = spy antedating (?)

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 8 01:16:01 UTC 2015

I do not have an additional antedating - but some additional background on how and why the word may have been taken into the language at that time.

A 1915 book about German infiltration of Belgium preliminary to its invasion of Belgium was entitled:

The
German Mole, a Study of the Art of Peaceful Penetration.

The book was based on articles written in French in 1914.  The book uses the metaphor of a German "mole" burrowing its way under the foundations of Belgian society, so that it would implode easily when the Germans advanced.

I looked at a French dictionary of idiomatic phrases published in 1903:
French
dictionary: Dictionnaire étymologique
de mille et une expressions propres à l'idiome français, fondé sur des faits
linguistiques et des documents exclusivement nationaux.

The entry for 'Taupage' includes: Taupes de rempart, soldats du genie; sapeurs comme
la taupe. [Rampart moles, military engineers; sappers as  moles.]

The imagery relates to the job of military engineers, "miners and sappers" in English, who dig tunnels under the walls of a fortification and explode them from below.

Perhaps English use of the word, "mole," was influenced by French usage.